26 July 2010

Doll Photography

Moving on to art school, I thought I'd begin with a project that I'm actually proud of from my art school days. Although I learned a lot in four years, I must admit that it was a bumpy road. This series, however is one of those rare occasions where not only did I enjoy making it and I liked the result, the, um, "educators" and other students really liked it as well.

Not only is the photography technically solid in this series, but the mood is also great and I love the subject matter. My concept was basically that I was using the doll as a stand in for myself in describing how I feel about my home (safe, secure, comfortable). But the series took on a life of it's own with an eerie mood, making some people quite uncomfortable. All in all I think this series was a success, and although I photographed dolls for the rest of the year, I was never able to recapture the emotional complexity of these pictures. Here's to a project well done!









No comments:

Post a Comment